The Drama Desk Awards
Drama Desk Awards, were first given out in 1955, and are the only theater awards that have Broadway, Off Broadway, and Off Off Broadway productions competing for the same award. They were given out this year at the LaGuardia Concert Hall at Lincoln Center on Sunday, May 18th.
The Drama Desk was founded in New York by theater critics and writers in 1949. The purpose of the organization is to "explore issues in the theater and bring together critics and writers in an organization to support the ongoing development of theatre in New York".
2007 -2008 Drama Desk Award Winners
- Outstanding Play: August: Osage County by Tracy Letts
- Outstanding Musical:Passing Strange
- Outstanding Revival of a Play:Boeing-Boeing by Marc Camoletti
- Outstanding Revival of a Musical:South Pacific by Rodgers and
- Outstanding Revue:Forbidden Broadway: Rude Awakening
- Outstanding Actor in a Play:Mark Rylance (Boeing-Boeing)
- Outstanding Actress in a Play:Deanna Dunagan (August: Osage County)
- Outstanding Actor in a Musical:Paolo Szot (South Pacific)>/li>
- Outstanding Actress in a Musical:Patti LuPone (Gypsy)
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play:Conleth Hill (The Seafarer)
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Play:Linda Lavin (The New Century)
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical:Boyd Gaines (Gypsy)
- Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical:Laura Benanti (Gypsy)
- Outstanding Director of a Play:Anna D. Shapiro (August: Osage County)
- Outstanding Director of a Musical:Bartlett Sher (South Pacific)
- Outstanding Choreography:Rob Ashford (Cry Baby The Musical)
- Outstanding Music:Stew, and Heidi Rodewald (Passing Strange)
- Outstanding Lyrics:Stew (Passing Strange)
- Outstanding Book of a Musical:Douglas Carter Beane (Xanadu)
- Outstanding Orchestrations:Jason Carr (Sunday in the Park with George)
- Outstanding Set Design of a Play:Scott Pask (Les Liaison Dangereuses)
- Outstanding Set Design of a Musical:Michael Yeargan (South Pacific)
- Outstanding Costume Design:Katrina Lindsay (Les Liaison Dangereuses)
- Outstanding Lighting Design:Kevin Adams (The 39 Steps)
- Outstanding Sound Design:Scott Lehrer (South Pacific)
- Outstanding Projection and Video Design:Timothy Bird and The Knifedge Creative Network
- Outstanding Solo Performance:Laurence Fishburne (Thurgood))
- Unique Theatrical Experience:The 39 Steps
In addition, the following non-competitive awards were presented:
- Outstanding Ensemble Performances:The cast of The Homecoming, The cast of The Dining Room
- To Edward Albee in his 80th year, whose provocative plays, including this season’s Peter and Jerry, enrich the American theater.
- To James Earl Jones a commanding force on the stage for nearly half a century.
- To 59E59 Theaters whose imaginative curatorial vision has created a stimulating environment to nurture a diverse range of artists.
- To Playwrights Horizons for ongoing support to generations of theater artists and undiminished commitment to producing new work.